Skip to main content Skip to footer

Manhole on my property overflowed twice due to blockage on another property. Effects me only so I pay - help!

Because the overflow affects my property, even though it is caused by a blockage from another property, I have paid twice to clear. No-one else has any incentive to do anything about it. How do I find out who owns adjoining properties? How do I establish the ownership of various shrubs and trees around the estate (which might affect the drains? I am not covered by my buildings insurance. I cannot keep paying a large charge every couple of months when the problem is caused elsewhere.

Asked on Dec 15 2010, General in Barnet | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 1 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Unfortunately, liability on this usually falls down to the owner of the pipework where the blockage is, rather than where it has come from. However, if the blockage is in a private sewer then the owners of all properties using this drain are equally liable. If the blockage was in a private sewer then the water company would be liable etc... It's much easier to explain with a visual aid, so please take a look at the web reference it explains it quite well. Obviously it may not be Anglian Water who look after your public sewers but I can't imagine the blockage is in this part of the pipe anyway.

    Web reference:

    Answered on Dec 16 2010, Report content
  • Sorry, I mistyped a part of my answer... the water company would normally only be liable where the blockage was in a public sewer. Also if you are struggling to find out who owns a property you can view the title deeds on the land registry for a small fee.

    Answered on Dec 16 2010, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in Barnet questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General