Skip to main content Skip to footer

Agricultural Occupancy

If a property is subject to an Agricultural Occupancy does it mean that whoever buys the house and land HAS to farm the land or can it be left dormant? Do you also need to be a farmer already in order to buy it - we are talking a smallholding of 12 acres here with a 4 bed 1990 house, land currently used as grazing and stabling it appears, although there are old disused pig-sties on the smallholding. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Asked on Aug 21 2010, General in Bicester | Report content

Answers (4)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • There are different types of Agricultural Occupancy permissions. Your best bet is to obtain through the selling the agent a copy of the original planning permission which will clearly tell you what type of Ag OCup'y it is then ring the district council and ask to make a 5 minute chat appt with a planning officer who will tell you the score

    Answered on Aug 22 2010, Report content
  • Many thanks - that was very helpful. Kind regards P

    Answered on Aug 22 2010, Report content
  • Eastmidlandsagent is right, there can be different types, some far more specific than others. You need to establish exactly the terms before you can make a reasoned decision. I would check the deeds or convenants on the property first (the agent should have these to hand) and then the planners. The last one I dealt with had a very general restriction that stated the owner needed to be working in 'horticulture or forestry' which is very vague and could be simply overcome buy selling logs or a very small market garden. Most importantly the value of the property is directly affected by the severity of the restriction and given the decline in agriculture generally should be below 'going' market value.

    Answered on Sep 23 2010, Report content
  • Many thanks for your help.

    Answered on Sep 23 2010, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in Bicester questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General