Skip to main content Skip to footer

Damp in relatively new flat, is this due to bad workmanship?

Damp problem. Bought my flat from a local independent building company in Bristol, from new & off plan in 2007. It's a 2nd floor flat (this is the top floor). As the flat is built into the roof, the join of the wall to the sloping roof is approx along the line of the guttering (I'm estimating). Damp (black mildew) appearing along the join of the walls to the ceiling & also along the walls including some internal walls, which looks like a splattered water pattern. Property was not NHBC/Zurich registered & I am very doubtful that I'd be able to get hold of the builders, let along get them back to carry out any remedial work. Anybody got any practical suggestion as to how I should tackle the problem? I've thought about contacting the Council department that signed off the building regs. Thanks.

Asked on May 7 2013, General in Bristol | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 1 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • You could always get a damp specialist to assess the damp and report to cause. You may be able to put this towards the building company then, or alternatively you could ask about claiming on your insurance?

    Answered on May 9 2013, Report content
  • Even though I am in lettings, I am a surveyor by trade. This sounds like condensation, not penetrating damp. If you want to email me (email address on my profile), I can tell you what you need to do . Kind regards Christopher

    Answered on Jun 2 2013, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in Bristol questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General