Skip to main content Skip to footer

Received Homebuyer Report - house has damp issues and slate roof needs replacing!

Hi, We are in the process of purchasing a our first property in North Derbyshire. We've just had the Home Buyer report back and discovered that the house has seriously damp issues on the whole of the ground floor and the slate tiles roof needs to be replaced in a couple of years. The property is around 1910 with brick walls and is mid-terraced with 47.5 sq. metres (ground floor) and 45.2 sq.metres (2nd floor). How much do you think all this work would cost? We're going to go back to the estate agents for a reduction in the purchase price but we haven't got anything to go buy. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Asked on Nov 18 2013, General in Chesterfield | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0
  • Hi Have you instructed a reputable company to carry out a Damp & Timber inspection? This will tell you the extent of the problem (dampness in walls often leads to wet rot in timbers that come in contact with the damp walls), and recommendations and likely cost to remedy the problem. Similarly, get a local roofer to inspect the roof covering. Not sure about your area but where we are based (Northumberland), most companies carry out these inspections free of charge in the hope they get he work. With regard to renegotiating price, that really depends on what your surveyor has 'valued' the property at in its' present condition. If he has valued it at he agreed purchase figure in its 'warts and all' current state, then you have little chance - but you might as well try! We have a saying up here - 'shy bairns get nowt'! If you don't ask, you won't get. Main problem is that you may not get all the loan you need (if you are taking a mortgage) - the lender may hold back all or part of the monies as a retention until urgent works are carried out. Hope this helps.

    Answered on Nov 27 2013, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in Chesterfield questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General