Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

How to gather evidence on what your house was worth in 1991

I am trying to have my council tax band reassessed, but the department says I have not provided enough evidence, as I have only provided the sale price of my property (a rental) in 1998, and that of the adjoining semi in 1999, which were the earliest sale prices I could find online. They said they need evidence of the value of my or similar properties closer to 1991. I live in one of the only pair of semi detached one beds on the street. I can't find out when they were built. Have bought the land registry details but these only show the 1999 sale which I already had the info on from Zoopla. Maybe they were only built in 1998, as they sold in 98 and 99 for £38k and £41k respectively. I have searched the planning applications from my street since the 80s and can't find them. Does anyone have more advice on what evidence I could obtain?

Asked on Jan 30 2018, General in Gloucestershire | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0
  • The lowest council tax band (A) is for properties valued at less than £40,000 in April 1991 and band B is for a 1991 value of £40–52,000. Using a national house price index going back to the 1970s, a house worth £38k in '98 or £41k in '99 would have been worth £33–34k in April 1991, well within the lowest A band. So what is your current council tax band? If it is A then you have nothing to gain and something to lose by revaluation. If it is not band A then: a) there is clearly something wrong OR b) some local factor has caused the value of these properties to have devalued significantly against the general trend of price increases 1991–1999. OR c) the properties were significantly improved after 1992 and on a subsequent sale thus revalued for council tax purposes. In which case you need to look at the most recent sale price and index back to the 1991 value to decide if you case for revaluation (I assume downward) has any chance of success.

    Web reference:

    Answered on Jan 31 2018, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in Gloucestershire questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General