Skip to main content Skip to footer

Flood insurance/subsidence - Chafford Hundred

I generally like the Chafford Hundred area but lately I have heard a lot of bad news about the area such as no flood insurance from 2013 and regarding subsidence. What is subsidence? Thanks.

Asked on Jan 23 2012, General in Grays | Report content

Answers (4)

Was this question useful? Yes 2 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Subsidence is downward ground movement, I have added a link which explains the main causes. Not being insured for flood is going to be costly, you might want to consider such a purchase very carefully.

    Web reference:

    Answered on Jan 23 2012, Report content
  • Home insurance past June 2013 for flood risk areas will be a huge issue, but homeprotect can quote you a great flood risk insurance deal what ever your circumstances.

    Answered on Apr 2 2012, Report content
  • I have done some additional research into this area (I also have a vested interest as my Dad lives in Chafford) and our documentation looks like there is not history of major subsidence events since this area has become residential and the only flood problems that are on record are of surface water run off (water run off is when heavy rain [and other weather events] collects at to fast a past for the local drainage provision to cope with the volume, this can be an issue but flood defence provisions can be very effective is in reducing you risk). One issue that I can note is that properties near the nature reserve may be a problem to insure due to the closeness of water, so if you cannot get a quote come and try homeprotect and see what we can do.

    Answered on Apr 2 2012, Report content
  • Again this is another myth about Chafford Hundred. Nearby Badger's Dene is in the flood basin of the Thames but Chafford Hundred is outside it. There is a very low risk of surface water flooding due to storms because the ground is permeable (absorbs rainwater) as it is chalk. There is no subsidence in chalk either. See my other answers or go to my website to contact me direct.

    Web reference:

    Answered on Dec 14 2014, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in Grays questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General