Skip to main content Skip to footer

What is a flying freehold?

Asked on Jan 7 2013, General in Great Yarmouth | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Hi Ziggurrat, A freehold exists where a person owns the land and property built thereon in its entirety. A flying freehold however, is a more complex phenomenon that exists within a small number of houses across the country. These are complications where one part of a property on one side overhangs that owned by another. It is most commonly seen in terraced houses, for example, where the homes are not connected at ground level, but at the first floor, there is a room which exists above a passage or pathway, joined to both houses. The flying freehold exists whereby the person in one property owns the part at ground level (the passageway), but the owner on the other side of the boundary owns the part above (hence the "flying" reference). The same can occur with balconies that overhang a garden of a neighbour among other different options, but all essentially mean the same. Many thanks, Scott

    Answered on Jan 23 2013, Report content
  • A Flying Freehold is when part of the property oversails the property next door.

    Answered on Feb 18 2013, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in Great Yarmouth questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General