Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

First-time-buyer - Section 20 Notice (?)

Hi, I'm in the process of buying my first home, solo.. has been a massive learning curve throughout. I've finally received results to searches and contracts and have come across a Section 20 notice.The proposal is to enter into a long-term agreement- Fire Risk Assessment Remedial Works. The letter states that 'the works involve maintenance to fire protection equipment and installations and changes to layout of communal areas to ensure compliance with current regulations and recommendations.' The property I'm purchasing is an ex-council maisonette, block of 2 with own front doors, therefore the only communal areas are the path leading past my door through to the garden. There is an estimated cost of £289,274 (excl VAT) which is slightly frightening. Am I right to assume that this estimate must cover numerous pre-council-owned properties? My solicitor has told me that it is impossible to tell me what the cost might be. Guidance very welcome! Thank you

Asked on Jun 27 2016, General in Kent | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0
  • Your lease should set out what portion of the charges are to be paid by your property. So your solicitor should be able to tell you that your contribution will be x% of whatever the final bill will be. You also need to note when the S.20 notice was issued and the timetable to submit any comment or demand another estimate. See the website for more information In general, buying ex-council property leasehold always carries the risk of big service charges out of the blue.

    Web reference:

    Answered on Jun 28 2016, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in Kent questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General