Skip to main content Skip to footer

Urgent Advice needed!

I'm looking to buy a property that was initially a house but has been converted into two self-contained flats, both sharing a communal garden and entrance. I have been in touch with the local council to find out if they had planning permission to approve this conversion. They had nothing on their records. My concern is that I’m not sure if the conversion meets current regulations as the stairs on the ground flat leading to the bedrooms in the cellar look as if they have been done by non-professionals. Likewise, if not sure if there is permission to have rooms in the cellar, although houses along the road have a similar outlay, i.e. rooms in the cellar. The two flats have been reposed so I cannot ask the previous homeowner. Could you please advise me if it is wise to proceed with the flat and if my current concern is valid? Also, can you rent a flat where the bedrooms are located in the cellar? Kind regards, Rav

Asked on Apr 23 2012, General in Gillingham | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 3 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Planning consent may not be an issue if the work is over four years old. More importantly is probably lack of Building Regulations Control. You can get insurance policies to protect against this type of thing but you should ensure your lawyer is fully versed before you buy.

    Answered on Apr 24 2012, Report content
  • With mortgage lenders being so incredibly fussy these days I would question whether you would even get finance on anything that wasn't pretty much perfect. If you're paying cash then offer seriously low in order to cover the potential cost of dealing with these issues so that YOU don't have the same problems when you come to sell.

    Answered on May 3 2012, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in Gillingham questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General