Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

Purchasing property with Gas Central Heating

I'm purchasing a property which was listed as having gas central heating. Does that mean the heating (boiler) should be in good working order as standard?

Asked on May 7 2014, General in Ramsgate | Report content

Answers (5)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • It doesn't matter what the fuel is, the condition of the heating and boiler is a different matter.

    Answered on May 7 2014, Report content
  • I don't see how that has answered my question? I'm asking if a property is listed as having gas central heating, does it mean it is in the boiler works, not that I buy it and find the boiler system is broken therefore no heating in the house

    Answered on May 7 2014, Report content
  • If you have reason to doubt it is working then you need to ask. It would probably be better to do that before making an offer, rather than wait for your solicitor to do so in the standard pre-contract enquiries.

    Answered on May 7 2014, Report content
  • I'm already at exchange process. When first viewed property the heating was on and house lovely and warm. At a further viewing we discovered the owner had turned off all radiators and the boiler was just ticking over. When we went into kitchen we could smell gas, opened the boiler cupboard in kitchen we were hit by massive smell of gas. The estate agent said they would get sorted immediately. I enquired if boiler/gas issue now fixed and was told the owner came and just switched boiler off. The house is empty so I'm concerned there is a leek and the owner and estate agent have masked it. I have demanded the issue is resolved and my solicitors have put completion on hold. I asked the estate agent if the boiler turns out to be the issue will owner replace. I've was told no he doesn't have to. If the property is listed as having central heating and it was working does the owner have to fix the issue that has arisen since we first viewed or say its now upto me to fix when move in

    Answered on May 8 2014, Report content
  • In that case you could either walk away, continue to insist the problem is fixed before completion, or renegotiate the price. If you walk away then you will have the costs of the abortive legal work to bear. If you require the problem is fixed before completion then, assuming the seller does not withdraw, you will need to ensure that the work is certified and generally done properly. Or you just demand a price reduction sufficient to cover the cost of having the work done yourself.

    Answered on May 8 2014, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in Ramsgate questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General