Skip to main content Skip to footer

How can I buy an ex council house?

I'm looking to buy an ex council house (not flat!) I don't see hardly any advertised by estate agents, I'm looking at Merton, Ealing, Wandsworth and Hammersmith London boroughs. Does anyone know how I can find such properties? Do I need to contact the housing departments to enquire? I ask this because ex council are much cheaper than a private sale (I don't mind doing the work if it's needed), thanks.

Asked on Feb 25 2013, General in London | Report content

Answers (3)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • They have some ex-council houses available, it depends what area it is. I think they are now have changed for Rent Council who want to buy owner property is out of question since I think 2007 which it may be less and less selling ex-council houses or flat as well. Good luck your searching!!

    Answered on Feb 26 2013, Report content
  • Thank you annette114. So you're saying that councils are not selling properties anymore since 2007? I guess I'll look at repossessed houses

    Answered on Feb 27 2013, Report content
  • Councils will only sell the properties to the tenants living in them and they have to give them discount, because they have lived in them. You and I cant buy them. That's the way it is.

    Answered on Feb 28 2013, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in London questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General