Skip to main content Skip to footer

Where is best to buy student property?

I would like to invest in buying student properties. Which are currently the good cities in England to invest for good yield and capital gain?

Asked on Apr 19 2013, General in London | Report content

Answers (3)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Hi JClondon, Generally, anywhere with a large student population will be a good place to purchase property for this purpose, so long as you invest in the right sort of property. You'll want something that is close to the campus or good transport links, as well as having good access to the nightlife, regardless of what city you choose to purchase in. At the moment though, some of the best yields can be found in the north of the country, because here you can get something for a lot less, but still see a very decent level of rental income, producing a high yield. A new report from HSBC puts Sheffield at the top of the list, and given that it has a large student population with two universities, this could be as good a bet as any. Other high performers were Manchester (which has the largest student population in Europe) and Leeds, which also has two universities and a number of colleges. Any of these would be good choices at the moment. Many thanks, Scott

    Answered on Apr 22 2013, Report content
  • Student lets can be a good investment. You can usually agree contracts for 10 months for the full amount and the other 2 months at half rent. Student numbers are down all around the country so it is advised to buy good properties with contracts already in place. Big yields are possible but these properties usually do not offer good capital growth. Some properties have a smaller yield but offer good capital growth Manchester is a good up and coming area and I have three properties left for sale that is part of a deceased estate. Research is what I always advise.

    Answered on Apr 29 2013, Report content
  • As mentioned anywhere with a uni or college but remember students are not known for looking after properties so make sure deposits cover any damages you may expect.

    Answered on Oct 1 2013, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in London questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General