Skip to main content Skip to footer

Short lease with share of freehold

If I buy a flat with a short lease (say 70 years) but with a share of freehold, am I entitled to *independently* extend of the term of lease? Obviously paying the due fees etc. By independently I mean if I can do it even if other leaseholders opt not to.

Asked on Dec 19 2013, General in London | Report content

Answers (4)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • If it is share of freehold then you will need the agreement of the other freeholders in order to extend the lease.

    Answered on Dec 19 2013, Report content
  • Yes you can, the process is explained on the leasehold advisory service website <> "The right provided by the Leasehold Reform Housing and Urban Development Act 1993 (as amended) is for the grant of a new lease for a term of 90 years, plus the present unexpired term, all at a peppercorn rent (that is, rent free). The formal procedure is started by the service of the Tenant's Notice on the landlord (the Tenant's Notice) and it then follows a prescribed route. " This applies even if there is a share of freehold, though it would probably be better to get everyone to agree if you can.

    Web reference:

    Answered on Dec 31 2013, Report content
  • Under the legislation quoted by quip you will need to own the ppty for 2 years before you can extend the lease. If you own the freehold you can possibly by-pass the legislation

    Answered on Jan 15 2014, Report content
  • Do not take it for granted that you will not have to pay for your lease extension (in addition to both your own and the "freeholders" fees). If other flats have different values and lease lengths then, unless there is an agreement to the contrary, dealing with a freehold company in which you have a share will be similar to dealing with a "remote" freeholder but with the added risk of falling out with your neighbours. Get advice before you buy!

    Web reference:

    Answered on Jul 30 2014, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in London questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General