Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

How can I induce a legal case against negligent real estate agency

Hi, I would like to ask how can I induce a legal case against real estate agency, advertised a property with ownership issue, aborted House Buying process due to issue with ownership of part of the land plot, Lost Mortgage fee £1999 and solicitor's expenses, higher interest mortgage (in result) all that caused by misinformation and/or negligence of Real Estate Agency. The property ombudsman statement: "The Ombudsman would not uphold your complaint as it appear that the estate agents were not aware of the issues and were provided with no information which should have put them on notice that there was a potential problem". I'll appreciate all advice, thoughts, law firms suggestions and other possible solutions. Many Thanks

Asked on Jan 15 2017, General in London | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • I would imagine you will need to prove to a court if the Ombudsman has rejected your claim, that the agent had prior knowledge. It is assumed that they didn't and nothing to support that they did was presented to the Ombudsman hence their finding. Agents generally only know about such things, and in other cases failed surveys, poor leases etc only after an aborted sale or if disclosed by the vendor.

    Answered on Jan 16 2017, Report content
  • Sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately most agents are unlikely to undertake any form of ownership verification - such a requirement would create administrative headaches which is probably why it´s not obligatory. Not sure if it would help, but perhaps you could write a formal letter to the Estate Agency´s head office to explain the situation? More agents are under competitive pressures these days and do not want their reputations tarnished. If you at least got some compensation, it would be better than nothing.

    Answered on Jan 17 2017, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in London questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General