Skip to main content Skip to footer

First Home Buyer from Australia moving to the UK & needing advice!!

Ok so my partner and I are moving to the UK this year and we are wondering should we buy or rent?!?! Ok so I'll give you a bit of a update. I am a British/Australian Citizen. I moved to Aus when I was 5! My partner is an Australian Citizen and has a working visa for the UK. Can we purchase a home? Can we purchase it together or can it only be in my name as I am a British citizen? Do I need a special number or something? Also, we have been working full time for the past year and we have saved a approx 25% deposit is this good? Do we have to have worked in the UK for a certain number of months? Also on another topic I am currently working in the Real Estate Buisiness in my local area and I am wondering how the field is going? Difficult to get work in the industry? Thanks heaps.

Asked on Mar 8 2011, General in Maesteg | Report content

Answers (5)

Was this question useful? Yes 2 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Here's a link to a useful RICS leaflet: you don't need to be British to purchase property in UK - I understand even the Gadaffi family own property here!! Seriously though if you need an introduction to an independent financial adviser/ valuation advice let me know. Lastly there have been better times to start working in Real Estate in the UK.

    Web reference:

    Answered on Mar 8 2011, Report content
  • Firstly, with regards to your status as a purchaser in the UK I would suggest you speak to an Independent Mortgage Broker before you do anything. They will be able to confirm the best way by which you can secure financing and indeed if it is possible with your circumstances. With regards to employment within the real estate sector, there are always positions available for the right person, its just a case of looking.

    Answered on Mar 8 2011, Report content
  • I would suggest renting for 6 months or so. This will give you a chance to learn more about the area that you are moving to and will give you a better idea of which part of that area you wish to live on a longer term basis. You can also use this time to speak with financial advisors, mortgage brokers and banks to make sure you are getting a good deal. A 25% deposit is not too bad, but are you sure this figure is correct? 25% of what? There are deals out there where you still only require a 10% deposit, but in general anywhere between 20 and 30% would be required. There are jobs available in several agents here in Swansea and we need somebdoy shortly too, so work will be available if you are right for the job and are determined to get the work.

    Answered on Mar 9 2011, Report content
  • Good luck with your house hunt in the UK. We bought our house as a moneybox and are now selling and returning to Australia. We will be renting out there until we decide where we finally want to live, family spread all over the country. We rented for seven years before deciding to buy as we could not save any decent money after arriving here.

    Answered on Mar 9 2011, Report content
  • Hi all! Our plan is to live with my grandma for a couple of months so that we don't have to rent. Of course my plan is to help her out with everyday living. I would rather live with family until we find a property to buy. We have around 19,000 British Pounds saved. So that's around 30,000 Australian dollars. I know it isn't going to buy us a fancy property but that is not what we are looking for. We desire a renovating project. We have extra funds saved for such a task. As long as the property has walls, running water and electricity we are fine :) I grew up in Master so I have been looking for properties in that area and surroundings. Yes I think that we will be talking to a Mortgage Broker shortly. As for employment I am going to complete my Property Services Certificate in the next couple of weeks. In Australia this would give me the opportunity to become a Property Officer. I don't know if this will help my chances of gaining employment in the UK but I started the course so I plan to finish it. It can't hurt. I am currently a front of house receptionist. I work for a smaller company and I am part of Property Management and Sales team. I am mostly involved in Property Management and enjoy every moment of it. I am looking forward to becoming a Property Officer. I plan on looking and arranging employment as soon as my partners working visa arrives. I don't want to waste companies time and find out that we will not be coming. Thanks for everything. If you have anything to add feel free.

    Answered on Mar 9 2011, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in Maesteg questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General