Skip to main content Skip to footer

What can I do?

I fell behind with rent and now I have to be out of the house by March. My daughters school is 2 seconds away from the house and the school has really brought her out of her shell. I am on DSS and need a house near where I am, but no estate agents seem to entertain DSS.

Asked on Jan 11 2012, General in Manchester | Report content

Answers (4)

Was this question useful? Yes 3 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Have you looked at free ads in local papers? Private landlords often accept DSS tenants. Try gumtree, loot, and search Google for more sites. I have also added a link below which may be of some help. Best of luck.

    Web reference:

    Answered on Jan 11 2012, Report content
  • If you're in arrears and are being evicted by your landlord you may find it quite difficult to find a new property to rent. You will definitely need a homeowner guarantor.

    Answered on Jan 11 2012, Report content
  • Try shelter and the citizens advice if you get into difficulties.

    Answered on Jan 11 2012, Report content
  • You have rights. Go to your local citizens advice and get help. Local solicitors also often do free clinics, so phone round them too as ask. You can get 10-15 mins free advice. If the arrears aren't too bad try talking to your landlord about staying, and discuss catching up the debt a little each week - so once you've found out your rights that'll give you the confidence to see if you can patch things up with the landlord. btw - the DSS used to do emergeny loans, ask them for help too.

    Answered on Jan 13 2012, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in Manchester questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General