Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

Home Insurance as a landlord.

Hello, I am the owner of a first floor maisonette that is share of freehold with the ground floor owner. Knowing that I am the owner (landlord) of the first floor maisonette, the ground floor owner has asked me if I could share the payment of the insurance with her. I am already paying for a landlord insurance that covers the building and all my belongings inside the property I am renting out. My question is, am I obliged to share this insurance with her even though I am a landlord renting it out and she being the owner and living on the ground floor? If yes could you please advise me on the best way of sharing a home insurance between a landlord and an owner living in the house. Thanks!

Asked on Feb 28 2016, General in Mitcham | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0
  • First you need to get the terminology right. As the owner of a flat you have a leasehold. As does the owner of the other flat. You both have a share of the freehold (that is the Landlord). You do not state how these shares are held, normally a management company is involved. The buildings insurance is normally an obligation on the Landlord (freeholder) so you should both be paying a share. This should be set out in the leases. The insurance of the contents of each flat is a separate matter for each leaseholder.

    Web reference:

    Answered on Feb 29 2016, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in Mitcham questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General