Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

I have a bad tenant not paying rent

I have a bad tenant who has no papers to live or work in this country so he has not been able to pay my rent for almost 2 years, I dont have the money to follow the court procedure to evict him what do I do please help me

Asked on Jul 16 2014, General in UK | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 1 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • So if I understand you correctly you have a tenant that is 2 years in arrears??? the only way to legally secure possession of your property is a) if the tenant surrenders the tenancy or b) to correctly issue a section 21, hope the tenant leaves on expiry of the s21, but if the tenant doesn't, accelerated possession proceedings in the court.

    Answered on Jul 17 2014, Report content
  • Server the tenant section 8 notice and after 18 days apply for court proceeding. As I can understand what you might be going though as a landlord but best is you save some money and evict him through right channels. If you serve section 21 notice, that means you have to give them 2 months notice to move out and if they still don't move out then you have to apply for a court date after that period. Also for future use, always use an agent to check the paperwork before you put anyone into your property. As we all like to take shortcuts but this is the outcome of the shortcut.

    Answered on Jul 22 2014, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in UK questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General