Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

Council tax (bands are out of date) not relating to real house values

I have a dilemma. I live in a 3-bedroom house, worth approx. £400,000, band D. I would like to downgrade, but with the price of property, my council tax would increase by a £1000 a year extra. As I am on a fixed pension, I would not be able to afford it. Is there an answer or is it a case of just staying where I am?

Asked on Sep 19 2014, General in UK | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0
  • Council Tax Bands relate to the value on 1 April 1991, not the present value. So if you are currently in a band D property and you move to something smaller it is not likely to be in a higher tax band.

    Web reference: http://

    Answered on Sep 19 2014, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in UK questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General