Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

Understanding what council tax is

I currently reside in the United States. I will be moving to the United Kingdom shortly. As such I am trying to gain as much knowledge as I can about everything in general. So with that being said can someone explain to me: What "COUNCIL TAX" is?; How is it paid?; How is it calculated?; Where do I go to pay the tax?

Asked on Jun 22 2017, General in UK | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Hi - it´s a local tax on domestic property. The level you will pay is based on where the property is located and its size. Once you have moved in, the lettings agent should be able to help you out or you can contact the local authority (or council) itself. The first payment will usually be due about a month after you move in - so you´ll have time to get things organised. All the best with the move.

    Answered on Jun 25 2017, Report content
  • Hello. Council Tax is paid to the local government dept who look after the area/town i.e the council. They collect a sum from each property from owners or tenants. This pays for things like libraries, street lighting and policing. Most people pay by direct debit these days. Regards, Jonathan.

    Answered on Jul 14 2017, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in UK questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General