Skip to main content Skip to footer

I am disabled and get DLA and benefits, would a landlord allow me to rent?

Enquiry about renting while in receipt of benefits and DLA

Asked on Nov 20 2009, General in Wakefield | Report content

Answers (4)

Was this question useful? Yes 4 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Yes you should be able to rent. Here in Scotland, lady with 3 children has privately rented 3 bedroom house. She receives £600 per month housing benefit allowance which pays her rent. Hope you are successful.

    Answered on Nov 21 2009, Report content
  • Some landlords will not accept people on benefits because they can be trouble and the council can often be slow with paying the benefits. However, you have a better chance due to being on disability, rather than just not working. Consequently your rent is guaranteed - you are not at risk of losing you job etc - so a safe bet for payment. Offer to have the rent paid directly to the landlord from the council and there should be no problems. Bear in mind that the council pays in arrears, rather than in advance, so try and pay the first month and deposit yourself.

    Answered on Nov 22 2009, Report content
  • Changes have been recently made in the way housing benefit is paid out. Previously, private Landlords were paid directly by the council therefore ensuring that rent always paid.. However, Government rules now insist that this is not legal and that housing benefit must be paid to the claimant. This has caused problems in the private renting sector, as some tenants have received their housing benefit and have not paid their rent to the landlord, resulting in accumulation of rent arrears, and sometimes court cases. This has been a terrible decision and has had a detrimental effect on the willingness of landlords to rent to people on benefit. .

    Answered on Nov 23 2009, Report content
  • The best thing to do is ask the local authority for a list of people who do DSS which should be agents and landlords. You could also try gumtree

    Answered on Nov 23 2009, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in Wakefield questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General