Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

Which stamp duty do I have to pay

I am divorced and I sold my matrimonial home June 2015 and have been living in rented accommodation since May 2013. I want to buy a house as my main residence but I already have a HMO property let out. Do I have to buy higher rate stamp duty.

Asked on Jul 14 2016, General in Wales | Report content

Answers (3)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • On the face of it you should not have to pay the higher rate. But you need expert advice, and do not trust your conveyancer to give it: they are inherently cautious and as they are in practice the people who make the return and collect the tax they are inclined to say you need to pay it.

    Answered on Jul 15 2016, Report content
  • Unfortunately yes, the criteria for the higher rate is "how many properties do you own at the time of completion". If you have two, and one is for sale because you are replacing your main residence, then I believe you have 6 months to sell your second property or you may have the extra 3% levied on your purchase cost.

    Answered on Jul 16 2016, Report content
  • "If at the end of the day of the transaction an individual purchaser owns two or more residential properties, whether the purchaser pays the higher rates or not will depend on whether they are replacing their main residence. If the purchaser has sold a previous main residence within 18 months before the day of the transaction and the transaction is a purchase of a new main residence, the purchaser will be considered to be replacing a main residence. Where an individual is replacing a main residence the higher rates of SDLT will not apply."

    Web reference: http://

    Answered on Jul 18 2016, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in Wales questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General