Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

Stamp duty rates on second property

I own a rental property in New Zealand. I sold my main residence in New Zealand in May and now want to buy a main residence in England. Will I have to pay higher rate stamp duty?

Asked on Sep 19 2016, General in West Sussex | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • No, you will pay the standard rate of stamp duty. The higher rate applies when you own a property in the UK at the time of buying another, or wish to rent the property out.

    Answered on Sep 19 2016, Report content
  • See: "You’ll also pay the higher rate if you buy a residential property in England, Wales or Northern Ireland and you already own one outside these countries."

    Web reference: http://

    Answered on Sep 20 2016, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in West Sussex questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General