Skip to main content Skip to footer

Insurance for a flat

Do I need building insurance for the whole house when buying a first floor flat? If so, why? Thank you.

Asked on Nov 22 2011, General in Whitley Bay | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • This may depend on your legal status as to who owns the freehold. If you are just a leaseholder then you are normally only responsible for the fixtures and fittings inside your flat and the outer walls and structures are insured by the freeholder. But check the terms of your lease. You would normally pay a service charge to the freeholder to cover any buildings insurance. If you are the freeholder or commonholder you more than likely have a responsibility to insure the building it may be a joint responsibility along with others again you need to check the details of your conveyance. If you used a Solicitor to purchase the property they can advise on this.

    Answered on Nov 22 2011, Report content
  • You need to check out who owns the Freehold first. They will be able to advise you.

    Answered on Feb 1 2012, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in Whitley Bay questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General