Skip to main content Skip to footer

UK Agent for Overseas Property.

I bought property in Spain, off-plan, through a UK agent who told me there was a bank guarantee & also gave me monthly updates, finally telling me it was completed & just needed to confirm colours of tiles etc. I then found out the developer had gone bust, no properties had been built & there was no guarantee in place. Do I have any claim against the UK agent - all transactions were carried out between me and UK agent, monies were paid to UK agent, viewing trip arranged by UK agent & cost was supposed to be refunded when I bought but now they will not refund.

Asked on Apr 25 2011, General in Wickford | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 2 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • I would suggest speaking to a lawyer, one that specialises in foreign property law.

    Answered on Apr 26 2011, Report content
  • Hello under Ley 57/1968 any bank in Spain that underwrites a development or otherwise offers finance is obliged to provide you with a bank guarantee. A guarantee can be implied by the courts in circumstances where it has not been issued. Diligent Investments Ltd is regulated in the UK in respect of these sorts of claims. Through our panel of solicitors we represent almost 300 active cases in this area. If what you say is true you do have a valid legal claim against your UK agent but does he have the money to pay you when you win? The Spanish bank will. If you contact me through the website I can arrange for you to have a consultation with an English speaking, Spanish lawyer. In some circumstances you could be represented on a no win no fee basis.

    Web reference:

    Answered on Oct 6 2013, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in Wickford questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General