Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

What are the 'plates' on the wall of adjoining property? How might this house be affected?

There are 4 square plates bolted onto the outside wall above a window of the property we are looking at, these are approx 1 ft square what are they, and is this an ominous sign for the house attached, even though it is the furthest wall? It has been suggested they are 'ties'

Asked on Apr 27 2010, General in Wirral | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0
  • They are ties to prevent the external wall pulling away from the adjoining ones, there are two trains of thought glass half full or half empty. If the adjoining house was likely to suffer from movement it would have happened by now, or the attached house is constructed by the same materials on the same parcel of land and are therefore likely to suffer the same. I would suggest that you speak to local surveyors to see if it is a local problem and they should offer good advice. These are normally associated with very old properties which are not readily available on the market so I would not dismiss buying without first speaking with a surveyor & if you do intend to purchase have a structural survey carried out

    Answered on Apr 28 2010, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More General in Wirral questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about General