Skip to main content Skip to footer

Can I sell my house if I have a charge on it?

I am currently going through a divorce and my ex does not agree with the equity split that has been suggested and so he has put a charge on my house for the amount he wants. I am not refusing to pay him anything but only want to pay what he is legally entitled to, not what he is demanding. Am I still able to sell my house with a charge on it with full intent to pay him what he is legally entitled to?

Asked on Apr 15 2010, Home Finance in Gravesend | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 2 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • You can sell the house but only if there is enough equity to pay off the charge. When a property is sold, all charges have to be released in order to pass clear title to the buyer. If you sell it you will probably have no option but to pay the full amount of the charge as I assume that it was granted via the courts?

    Answered on Apr 15 2010, Report content
  • You will not be able to sell unless you ex partner agree to the sale and how much they will receive; you can get a court to decide on a fair settlement amount which should be paid and agreement for the property to be sold. Good luck

    Answered on Apr 21 2010, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Home Finance in Gravesend questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Home Finance