Skip to main content Skip to footer

Living in australia, looking at investing in the UK, any advice?

Asked on Jul 15 2011, Home Finance in London | Report content

Answers (3)

Was this question useful? Yes 1 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Hi Luccad, investing to live in the property or investing to rent out or investing to sell on? Each one will have a totally different answer. I don't sell houses so dont have a conflict of interest - email me and I will point you in the right direction. Christopher

    Answered on Jul 15 2011, Report content
  • This could be the best time to buy in UK, but rember location location! London seems the best.

    Answered on Jul 16 2011, Report content
  • Hi Luccad, I was considering the same thing (looking to rent the property out). Google "expat mortgages" for pages from the UK. There are brokers that specialise in such things. Typically you will need a minimum of 25% deposit as the risk to the lender is high. If you can't come to the UK to find the property it may be worth employing a Buyer's Agent to work for you and find the right place for you. Alternatively look up market prices for sales vs rent on Zoopla to find the areas with best rental return/yield. Don't forget that Australia has capital gains taxes on any global asset income, but due to the double taxation treaty with the UK you shouldn't have to also pay UK taxes on the property. Better seek financial advice on that one though!

    Web reference:

    Answered on Jul 27 2011, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Home Finance in London questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Home Finance