Skip to main content Skip to footer

Council tax and 'banding'

Looking into council tax and property 'banding' is there somewhere that describes the criteria for the bands? And lists the council tax charges for 2011? I'd like an indication for a 2 bed flat worth around £500-600k today, in either Islington, Tower Hamlets, The City, Westminster or Camden.

Asked on Oct 18 2011, Home Finance in London | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Council Tax bands are produced on the assumed value of the property as at 1st April 1991. Even if your property was built after this time. So the value of a flat today @ £500k would be back dated to it's value in 1991 to establish which band it should fall within. The bands are as follows :- Band A - £0 - £40k Band B - £40,001 - £52,000 Band C - £52,001 - £68,000 Band D - £68,001 - £88,000 Band E - £88,001 - £120,000 Band F - £120,001 - £160,000 Band G - £160,001 - £320,000 Band H - £320,000 and above useful link for more info.

    Answered on Oct 19 2011, Report content
  • Hi, For any questions in relation to council tax we would suggest that you get in contact with the local council for the area who will be able to advise you on what and your property is in and the charges. When in contact with the council it is best to state your situation as you may be entitled to discounts such as a 25% discount if you are the sole occupant.

    Answered on Sep 26 2013, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Home Finance in London questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Home Finance