Skip to main content Skip to footer

Selling share of freehold - changing the lease

If I sell a share of the freehold to my leaseholder, can I change parts of the lease (eg. insisting on carpets being put down) or insist on certain things as a condition? I'd quite like the money and it would make it easier for me to sell if I sell it (it's hard to get a mortgage on full-freehold flats), but I'd like to be able to insist on some things as part of it.

Asked on Jun 23 2013, Home Finance in London | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 1 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Http:// Okay. You come to the land registry for copies of the deed, and that also should give you a bit of a clue about how old the house is. Sometimes they just show, if the house is very old, it may not on there and it just shows transfers of land. So, you never quite actually know when the house was built. But normally, if you want to send me a photograph I could probably date it of within about 15 or 20 years because the style of building changes so regularly. So, you’ve got very distinct periods of sort of Georgian, Victoria, 1930′s, 1950′s, that sort of thing. So, maybe ask local estate agents for their opinion take a photograph and see what they think, or as I said, send me a photo and I’ll do my best to answer. Thanks very much. Thank you once again for sending in your questions to House Buy fast. We look forward to answering more. So don’t hesitate to send in any others. Thank you very much.

    Web reference:

    Answered on Sep 24 2013, Report content
  • Get advice... You should expect the leaseholder to pay your reasonable fees for valuation and legal costs. If your leaseholder qualifies for a statutory lease extension then if they make a formal application they will be entitled to reject the alterations you propose but anything may be possible by negotiation!

    Web reference:

    Answered on Jul 30 2014, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Home Finance in London questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Home Finance