Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

Which houses accept DSS payments?

I recieve DSS payments and my previous manager said I must find a property that accepts these payments. I am living in a REDROW property in Oldham, and would like to move to Manchester.

Asked on Mar 31 2014, Home Finance in Oldham | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Hi Raymond, This is an issue that will differ from landlord to landlord, although it is worth noting that at the current time you might have an issue with finding a landlord who will work with you when you are receiving benefits. For many, people receiving DSS payments are seen as being 'high risk' and with demand for rental properties being as high as it is at the moment, most will prefer to go with someone who is paying through more conventional methods if they are able to find one. That's not to say that you have no chance of finding a tenancy though - it just might take quite a bit more digging in order for you to do so. The first thing you could try is to get in contact with the local council and see if they have any lists of landlords in the private sector who would be happy to work with people on DSS. In addition to this, you might want to just get in contact with letting agents in the area you are looking to move to and ask if they are working with any landlords who would give you a chance. When speaking to agents, don't be afraid to explain your situation to them. And if you can, try to see if they will accept a guarantor, who will take on legal responsibility for your rental payments in the event you cannot pay, as long as you have someone willing to do so. Many thanks, Scott

    Answered on Apr 1 2014, Report content
  • This depends on whether the Landlord is willing to accept DSS tenants. Best thing would be to phone some local agents and ask if they have any properties available where the Landlord would accept DSS. Hope that helps.

    Answered on Apr 2 2014, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Home Finance in Oldham questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Home Finance