Skip to main content Skip to footer

Can I challenge a building society surveyors valuation report?

I am trying to buy a house that is currently arranged as 2 apartments but was originally one house and has one freehold title. We are borrowing 80% of the purchase price. The Mortgage Advisor is happy with the lending but their valuer has valued at nil and refuses to lend until the property is back to one dwelling - which we intend to do immeidately upon completion. I have suggested a retention and reinspection once we have carried out the necessary works but he is not agreeing, nor has he confirmed what the exact issues are. Can I request a second surveyor goes in to give a second opinion? My solicitor, the selling agents and the mortgage advisor all agree that there is no reason to recommend not to lend, hence valuing the property at nil - the purchase price is £300k and we are lookiing to borrow £240k only. Our intention is to put the house back to one dwelling with immediate effect and have contacted all necessary authorities in this regard who are happy dor that to be done

Asked on Jan 15 2014, Home Finance in Uckfield | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0
  • Dosn't really matter what your mortgage advisor thinks; the surveyor acts for the building society and if they decide not to lend that's it. Try another lender.

    Answered on Jan 16 2014, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Home Finance in Uckfield questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Home Finance