Skip to main content Skip to footer

Non-standard construction query

Would like to make an offer on a property that is nearly 50 years old - have just found out that it is concrete blocks round timber frame (harling on top). Original owners had a mortgage from the Halifax but I want to use a different lender - would I get a mortgage and how much would buildings insurance be approx as non-standard construction?

Asked on Feb 5 2011, Home Finance in West Calder | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 1 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • It may prove somewhat difficult. You would need to find out the exact construction type and then cross referance it with mortgage lenders. Most will have a list of constructions they will and won't consider but generally this is not public knowledge and does change (particuluarly at the moment when many are very risk adverse) hence the fact the current owner has a current mortgage may not have relevance. If you can get the name I may be able to find out.

    Answered on Feb 7 2011, Report content
  • Thanks for your reply to the non-standard construction question - as the property may prove difficult to sell on, we have decided not to proceed with the purchase!

    Answered on Feb 7 2011, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Home Finance in West Calder questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Home Finance