Skip to main content Skip to footer

How serious is penetrating damp?

I am considering buying a property that appears to have penetrating damp. How easy is to control or fix, what work does it entail and how much would it cost for 3 external walls on a 3 bed, 2 storey house? Thanks.

Asked on Jun 24 2013, Home Improvement in Ebbw Vale | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0
  • Hi adickson2, Penetrating damp refers to any instance where moisture manages getting into the property, so it can range from easy to solve to very serious, depending on whether it is an issue caused by old seals on windows and doors or a problem with the cavity walls in the house, for example. Aviva has published some decent advice about making repairs for this sort of thing, and it can range all the way from just spending £10 on fixing windows and doors to make sure the damp stays out, all the way into the thousands if there are more serious damages that are causing water to get into the home. Whatever it turns out to be that is causing the problem, it is always important to bring in a professional to give you an opinion and work out what the problem is, as this will reduce the chance of you targeting the wrong issue. Many thanks, Scott

    Answered on Jun 27 2013, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Home Improvement in Ebbw Vale questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Home Improvement