Skip to main content Skip to footer

Mutual Drain Side Return Issue

I wanted to add a side return to my flat which is garden/ground floor. It looks like this will go over the manhole cover to the mutual drain. The surveyor saw no problem but I am getting mixed answers from architects saying it cant be covered as it belongs to Thames Water? Thanks in advance!

Asked on Apr 23 2012, Home Improvement in London | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0
  • It shouldn't be covered as it's there to give access if maintenance is needed. What you need to do is change the drains so that the access and maintenance point is moved to somewhere else outside. If this means moving your neighbours drains, then you will need their permission. The surveyor should be able to design and draw a new drain layout for you which would then be incorporated into your building plans and covered by building regulations also.

    Answered on Apr 24 2012, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Home Improvement in London questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Home Improvement