Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

1991 house value to challenge council tax bill.

Can anyone tell me how I can find out how much my house was worth in 1991? I've found it's value for 1995 and it is less than the council has stated, meaning it should be in band B not C!! Can I use this as grounds for changing it?

Asked on Mar 24 2018, House Prices in Camberley | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Hello - unfortunately, Land Registry data (in the public domain) only goes back to 1995. There are a couple of surveyors on here that may be able to help but - if you don't receive a response - I would suggest approaching a local firm. You would usually have to present solid evidence for your Council Tax banding to be changed.

    Answered on Mar 26 2018, Report content
  • Council tax is based on 1991 values, prices at other times, higher or lower, do not count. Generally house prices were falling during the early 90s, 1995 values generally would be 2–3% below 1991 values. The valuations are now so long ago that unless the property was sold on the open market in 1991 and there is incontrovertible evidence of the price paid being clearly in another band there is little merit in arguing over a banding on this basis. The 1991 values used for banding are now as nominal as the old ratetable values they replaced. If you want to challenge the banding then you would do better to find evidence that similar properties nearby are in a different band.

    Answered on Mar 26 2018, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More House Prices in Camberley questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about House Prices