Skip to main content Skip to footer

As you know, council tax is estimated based on the value of your home in April 1991, how can I find these values?

Do you know of any websites that have these details, as I am disputing my valuation with the authority and need stuff to back up my claim.

Asked on Jun 7 2011, House Prices in Corby | Report content

Answers (3)

Was this question useful? Yes 2 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • I would get a second valuation, and have a look at recent sold prices in the area, use You cannot base a value of a property on a property that was valued in 1991. Also have a look what is on the market at the moment in the area. Obviously the condition of the properties should be taken into account.

    Answered on Jun 8 2011, Report content
  • Hi, Check out the web site and click on the heading Mortgages/Homes and select the last item on the drop down menu "Council Tax Rebanding" this gives step by step details on how to establish your current property value at a 1991 level, having established this value you can then establish which band you should be in. Thus to vary your current banding the 1991 price you establish has to be outwith the range of your current band, for example assuming a current Tax Band of D, which covers properties £68001 to £88000 your property calculation at a 1991 level would would require to be outwith of the range. Normally if improvments have been made to a property and as such increased the value of the property this could result in a Tax Band change if a "relevant transaction" takes place for example if the property is sold.and the sale value referred back to a 1991 basis could take you out of the previous band. Improvments made to your property whilst you still occupy the property will not change the Tax Band, only on the sale of the property could the band change due to improvments, and this would be to the new owner. Outwith of the above comments you can appeal for a revaluation of your property, but as indicated your calculation of a 1991 value would require to differ from the Valuation Officer's.

    Web reference: http://www,

    Answered on Jun 8 2011, Report content
  • Roberts answer is spot on. Evidence on prices only goes back to 1995 online. Maybe go to your local library and get copies of the loacl rag for 1991, look in the estate agents section and get photocopies of the estate agents pages with the prices on .. theres your evidence!

    Answered on Jun 9 2011, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More House Prices in Corby questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about House Prices