Skip to main content Skip to footer

How much rent can I get knocked off for being single?

I have recently split from a long term relationship and I'm now living with parents again (joy) and I have been told by a friend that I may be entitled to some money to help pay the rent on the new apartment I'm interested in and I'll be living on my own

Asked on Aug 7 2011, Renting in Bingley | Report content

Answers (3)

Was this question useful? Yes 2 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • I'm sure you can get reductions from the council on your council tax, however any reduction on rent would be down to the landlord and I don’t think they are obliged to give you anything. You may be entitled to housing benefit but you will need to check with your local council.

    Answered on Aug 8 2011, Report content
  • They can only mean LHA (housing benefit). See for details. It's to do with your income, not your personal status.

    Answered on Aug 17 2011, Report content
  • You will be able to get a reduction in council tax such as a 25% discount if you are the sole occupant. As for other aids it would be best to speak to your local authority.

    Answered on Sep 26 2013, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Bingley questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting