Skip to main content Skip to footer

The house my daughter just rented needs major repairs, what can they do?

The house needs the lintel over patio door repairing, wiring, needs earthing, boiler doesn't work right, what are their rights to get this work done ASAP?

Asked on Nov 13 2012, Renting in Birmingham | Report content

Answers (3)

Was this question useful? Yes 1 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Some of these points sound serious and may fall under making the house inhabitable. One way of getting some action against a rental property like this is to seek the free advice of your local environmental health department of your council. They will normally come and survey the property and have the powers to force certain works.

    Answered on Nov 16 2012, Report content
  • In the current market there will be a lot of choice for professional working tenants, so if the house is not in a condition that is up to your standard advise the landlord that you intend to move on and the basis that you are taking that decision then it will be in the owners hands to resolve the problem or lose the tenant. If the tenant is on housing benefit then the problem will be that the landlord will know the tenant has no real option but to put up with the poor quality of the property as the council will not be able to rehouse the tenant, currently the owner only needs to ensure that the property is gas safe if the property has a gas safe the property is habitable. It’s not a nice answer but is the situation that a lot of housing benefit tenants will find themselves in and it’s going to get worse with cuts to HB for under 25’s.

    Answered on Nov 27 2012, Report content
  • If the living conditions are inhabitable then your best call would be contacting the council direct who will attend the premises and can force your landlord to carry out necessary works with immediate effect

    Answered on Jan 4 2013, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Birmingham questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting