Skip to main content Skip to footer

Can a student rent a 'professionals only' property?

My partner and I are looking to rent a 1 bed property for the academic year 2014/2015 in the Bristol area. However there are not many properties that match our requirements which as specified as student properties. Are we restricted to these properties, or could we rent a 'professional' property?

Asked on Dec 4 2013, Renting in Bristol | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Hi Abi, There is no reason, legally, why you would not be able to rent a property that is advertised as being for professionals only. This requirement is simply a preference from the landlord for the type of tenant they are looking for. It would be a case of going to the landlord or letting agent and asking them if it would be possible to bend their personal rules. If you can prove that you are reliable and can afford to pay then there should be no real reason that they will not let it to you. You might want to come armed with some paperwork that will help you though. If you can, a guarantor's letter is a big help, as it allows them the peace of mind that you have someone else legally responsible for your rent if you do not pay. In addition to this, old landlord's references and proof of any income you have will also be a big help. Many thanks, Scott

    Answered on Jan 2 2014, Report content
  • Hi, It would be best to speak to the estate agent the property is with an explain the situation you are in. As long as you could provide proof that you are able to manage the rental payments this shouldn't be a problem. The agent may however require a guarantor for both of the tenants that are moving in to the property. We hope this helps.

    Answered on Jan 6 2014, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Bristol questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting