Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

Do you have to have a salary in order to rent a property ?

I am trying to rent a studio or a 1 bedroom flat. Generally, when I find a suitable offer the renting agency asks me whether I earn 23,000£ a year. I am a PhD student and I just teach part-time, so clearly I don't. But I have enough savings to rent the property for at least 16 months. And I always reply by saying I am willing to pay 6 months upfront if you're worried I'll not pay you. But it didn't work. How can someone in my situation rent a property ?! Thanks.

Asked on Nov 21 2016, Renting in Cambridgeshire | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • It will be at the discretion of the landlord/lady (not the agency). You seem to be in a good position financially so it may be an idea to speak to a few other agents in the local area. If you can also find a guarantor, I think that will help. All the best.

    Answered on Nov 22 2016, Report content
  • Hi. When it come to renting student accommodation (or in your case part-time) due to you not being in full time employment, you would be asked by your agent to either pay 6 months rent in advance or have a UK based guarantor. The reason why they ask whether you earn £23,000 p.a. is because when it comes to passing references you would 'by the book' need to have an income x4 the annual rental. The best thing to do in your situation would be to pay the rent in advance - my recommendation. I hope this helps.

    Answered on Nov 22 2016, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Cambridgeshire questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting