Skip to main content Skip to footer

Guarantor Trouble!!!

I am 18 and living in Chatham away from home and on benefits. I wanted to rent a flat (on my housing benefits) and was asked to provide a guarantor. I don't speak to my parents after leaving due to abuse and am now leaving my current house due to similar circumstances. My family who I keep in contact with live in America so can not be my guarantors either. I have no friends who fit the criteria either. I have the money needed, just no guarantor... What can I do?

Asked on Oct 12 2011, Renting in Chatham | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 2 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Hi, some agents will accept payment of six months of rental in advance instead of asking for a guarantor. Also, every agent is different and will have different requirements. Speak to your local council and they may have contacts with local agents.

    Answered on Oct 12 2011, Report content
  • Yes, all agents have different requirements, and most referencing companies do too. Ultimately it usually lies with the decision of the landlord. 6 months in advance is normally accepted without a guarantor. The best way to find somewhere is to present yourself in a good light to the agent that you visit. A lot of places don't take DSS anyway but making an effort will always help. Alternatively speak to the council about potentially going into temporary accomodation or the housing list.

    Answered on Dec 23 2011, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Chatham questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting