Skip to main content Skip to footer

Room sharing in empty property

I want to get my 2 bed/2bath Cotswold stone cottage rented out which is empty and I see lots of people wanting a room in a house; if I combine strangers, how do I organise the legalities to ensure a sense of responsibility and getting paid each month?

Asked on Sep 25 2011, Renting in Cirencester | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 1

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Hi, you can put the tenants on one joint tenancy agreement. This would mean that they all sign one contract and would be jointly and severally liable for the rent. Should one default you can chase any of the tenants for payment. This is the best way to guarantee the rent each month but tenants are often reluctant to sign such an agreement. Alternatively, ask all of the tenants to provide a UK home owner guarantor to guarantee the rent regardless of their age or salary. This way you have a third party whom you can chase and it will also act as a deterrent to the tenants. Good Luck

    Answered on Sep 30 2011, Report content
  • I would recommend putting both of your tenants on join contract if possible. Also ask each of your tenants for a UK home owner guarantor which will be jointly and severally liable for both tenants giving you the option of third party to chase in case they fall short on rent

    Answered on Oct 15 2012, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Cirencester questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting