Skip to main content Skip to footer

Housing benefit, renting from family.

If my parents purchase my house as I cannot afford the mortgage. Would I be able to claim housing benefit? Or any type of help with the rent?

Asked on Nov 20 2013, Renting in Colchester | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0
  • Hi Tam, Long time since this was posted, and I'd be surprised if you need help on this issue any more but I'll leave my answer here in case anyone else is looking. Unfortunately it isn't possible to claim housing benefit if the landlord of your property is a family member and equally if you've previously owned the property, the councils won’t give you any benefits either. So I think it’s well worth checking with your local council but I think that’s the general rule throughout the United Kingdom. Hope that helps anyone looking for some advice on the matter. Jonathan Rolande :-)

    Web reference:

    Answered on Sep 23 2015, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Colchester questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting