Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

Can I get help with a deposit for private rental even though I work?

I am having to move into another property as I had fallen ill so had to have time off work, which led to falling behind with my current rent. So hence my landlord has now given me a eviction notice and so I need to get out. Problem being, I am still unable to get a deposit for a new rental. I have a 15 year old son.

Asked on Jun 30 2010, Renting in Coventry | Report content

Answers (3)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • You can apply to your local authority for a crisis loan to help yuo with your deposit, it may be worth getting a letter explaining about your arrears as it potentially could put future landlords off that you have been evicted from your current property.

    Answered on Jul 1 2010, Report content
  • The problem you have is that the council are not obliged to help you if you are evicted for rent arrears.

    Answered on Jul 1 2010, Report content
  • You may be able to get help. It does depend on individual circumstances and the policies of your local public services. If you earn very low wages, have dependants, meet the means criteria etc you will get some help. Do seek advice sooner rather than later from one or all of following sources, they should be able to give you free personal advice tailored to your exact situation and financial resources. Citizens Advice Bureau, your local private housing department in the Council, the DSS or local Jobcentre, the local Social Services department in the Council.

    Answered on Jul 7 2010, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Coventry questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting