Skip to main content Skip to footer

Can I take bad tenant to court?

I got tricked by a tenant to move into one of my properties. He never signed a tenancy, he only paid some rent. Can I take him to a small claims court for the remainder of rent?

Asked on Oct 2 2011, Renting in Denbigh | Report content

Answers (3)

Was this question useful? Yes 1 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • If you can prove that he was living there I don't see why not.

    Answered on Oct 3 2011, Report content
  • If the tenant has paid rent then generally courts will find that there is an implied tenancy in place. It is best that you seek independant legal advice on this one.

    Answered on Oct 12 2011, Report content
  • Harringtons are correct, the giving of a key and the receiving of rent create a tenancy regardless of how this came about. You would need to follow the typical route for posession of your property.

    Answered on Nov 12 2011, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Denbigh questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting