Skip to main content Skip to footer

Could I have problems finding a flat because my partner is on Job Seekers Allowance?

I am a student and my partner is on Job Seekers Allowance. He does not claim housing benefit and he has enough to pay his rent each month. We only want a small one bedroom flat, and as soon as my partner moves here he shall begin his job search but could we run into any problems due to him being on JSA?

Asked on Nov 22 2012, Renting in Dundee | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • If he is paying his own rent and doesn't "need" to apply for housing benefit then there should not be any problems: if he has to apply for housing benefit due to being on job seeker's then finding a landlord who accepts housing benefit could be difficult due to the cuts in housing benefit as any shortfall in rent and council tax too would need to be paid by the tenant but if he can show say in the form of good references that he can pay the shortfall then it shouldn't really be a problem: just look around for landlords who will accept housing benefit: how does he manage to pay his rent in full whilst on job seeker's? I would have thought that impossible on just job seeker's allowance?

    Answered on Dec 17 2012, Report content
  • We would be finding somewhere very cheap, at around £350 a month. I am moving out of my current flat to move in with him so I have £260 a month to contribute towards rent/bills which would leave him with only roughly £100 to pay. This is only temporary however, until he finds any sort of work in Dundee, so the issue would hopefully only be initial.

    Answered on Dec 23 2012, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Dundee questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting