Skip to main content Skip to footer

What do I need to rent a house?

My husband works as a waiter and we have been in the UK for a month now but all property advisers say we have to have a job to rent or buy so my husband has started working as a waiter but is waiting to take tests in HGV. He is also waiting to hear about a driving job, would it be possible to rent a house, flat or what ever available? or are other papers needed?

Asked on Mar 25 2013, Renting in Loughton | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0
  • Hi Joann1982, Details on what you will need to provide will change between letting agents and landlords, with some requiring a lot more documentation and other things than others. The most common thing you will need is ID to show who you are, first of all, as well as proof of income and employment moving forward. This is essentially to prove that you have now and in the future the means to pay rent monthly. A credit check is required by many agents as well, while it will almost always be a requirement that you will need either references from past landlords or a guarantor who will take on legal responsibility for your rent if you do not pay. Finally, you will also have to provide a security deposit. This is typically worth six weeks' worth of rent, although again it can change between different landlords. Many thanks, Scott

    Answered on Mar 25 2013, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Loughton questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting