Skip to main content Skip to footer

My landlord has just told me he is putting the property up for sale. How much notice does he have to give me and does it have to be in writing?

Asked on Mar 31 2010, Renting in Bolton | Report content

Answers (3)

Was this question useful? Yes 3 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Yes it has to be in writing and you should be allowed reasonable notice before viewings take place. Did you rent privateley or via an agent as the tennant he can't just show people around without your permission as long as you pay the rent on time etc

    Answered on Mar 31 2010, Report content
  • You need to get 2 months notice from your landlord in writing. You must allow reasonable access for viewings but they must give you at least 24hr notive for viewings and cant enter the property without your permission. If you want to move out earlier than the 2 months you need to give your landlord 1 month notice if your at the end of your tenancy agreement.

    Answered on Apr 6 2010, Report content
  • This depends on the actual tenancy agreement. If you have agreed a break clause, with a minimum of X months notice to be served, then the landlord has to provide written notice to yourself to vacate the apartment. The sales market however is not the best at the moment, so you may find it does take a couple of months to sell the apartment anyway. It may be best to speak to your landlord and see if he would allow you to stay on until it does get let. It may also be worth checking your tenancy agreement, as there may be a clause in there whereby it states that the landlord or agency have to give the tenant a minimum of 24 hours notice to access the property.

    Answered on Feb 3 2011, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Bolton questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting