Skip to main content Skip to footer

I currently live in Canada but will be moving to Manchester in March, how would I go about requesting to rent a property while still overseas?

I would like to have an apartment prior to my arrival in Manchester and would like to make all the necessary arrangements prior to my departure. Would this all be handles through an estate agent?

Asked on Dec 14 2010, Renting in Cheadle | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 3 No 0
  • The best thing to do would be to get in contact with estate agencies around the area you would be interested in. Please note however, that if you would like everything to be tied up before arriving in the country, you will not have a chance to physically have a look at the apartment before placing an offer down on it. I would also suggest doing a bit of research into the agency you will be using, checking how long they have been around for, also what feedback from current tenants are on them. Many agencies 'let & manage' apartments, which makes it easier for yourself, as if there are any problems in the apartment, they would be able to fix it for you. Once you have chosen your agency, have a look at the apartments that they have available, and it may be an idea to ask for lots of pictures of the apartment, along with the floor plan, and the square foot of the apartment. Please be aware, that the size of the apartments in England are generally a lot smaller than that of apartments in Canada. Because you will have no credit history in the UK, it would be highly improbable for an estate agency to reference you. This would then mean that you would be asked to either pay a minimum of 6 months rent in advance, or be able to provide a UK guarantor. An outline of what is required to be a guarantor is that the person usually has to be a UK home owner, and be earning around 36 times the monthly rental price (please note this may differ depending on the agency that you use). Most agencies will be fine with paperwork being scanned across to them, however almost all will ask for an original signed copy of a tenancy agreement. This however can be resolved upon arrival of the UK, where you will be able to bring a signed copy to the check in. I hope this helps, and you find the apartment your looking for!

    Answered on Jan 13 2011, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Cheadle questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting